Sunday, February 17, 2013
Eden Soto Alva (upper left in photo), who's served on the NAHJ Nevada board as an active member and our graphic designer, is leaving us to take a reporting job at Univision Dallas. Aside from Peru, Texas is home for Eden -- it's where he went to school, interned, and got his first taste of the journalism that would ultimately be his career. We're very excited for this wonderful promotion, although we're sad to lose a great friend and a great journalist who served Las Vegas well during his yearlong stint here. Members of NAHJ Nevada got together for Peruvian food at Inka Grill on Feb. 17 to say our good-byes and send him off with our best wishes. Buena suerte, Eden!
Thursday, February 7, 2013
And a success it was -- at our Feb. 7 event, we auctioned off 15 amazing prints and several works of art to some very happy new owners. We also made one couple's dream vacation come true after auctioning two United Airlines tickets to anywhere the company flies! They can't wait to make it out to Guam and see family this summer.
In all, our fundraiser netted $6,000 for NAHJ. We're applying the money toward our first-ever summer internship program, which is a collaboration with the Las Vegas Review-Journal and aims to bring more diversity into Nevada newsrooms. The proceeds will also help us stage activities throughout the year, including training workshops and PIO-Journalist Socials that help us network with the PR people we work so closely with.
It was an exceptional and fun night, and we couldn't have done it without the help of:
- NVEnergy: Our sole sponsor provided a major donation so we could buy drinks and refreshments for guests and pay the up-front costs of printing the photos.
- Amanda Harris Gallery of Contemporary Art: Amanda Harris let us use her lovely downtown gallery at no charge.
- Photojournalists Jessica Ebelhar, John Locher, Steve Marcus and Leila Navidi donated incredible photos for the auction that are now gracing walls around Las Vegas.
- Priscilla Daniels, who donated beautiful Dia de los Muertos masks and three paintings for the auction.
- Claudio Ferreiro, who printed the photos at a steep discount. They turned out amazing!
- The Lady Sylvia, who provided wonderful drinks and pinxtos for our guests to munch on.
Thank you all who donated, attended, bid, or otherwise supported the great work happening at NAHJ Nevada. Your contributions are making a difference for the journalists of today and tomorrow!